Monday, January 29, 2018

The Fastest and Easiest Way to Get your DBA in California

How to register a business name in California

I recently done this registration procedure and I can tell you I have tried both options. One of them worked better than the other 

I want to provide valuable information to those who are starting their own home business or online business. Registering a business name is very important because a fictitious name is easier to brand then your private name in most cases unless you are blessed to bear the prestigious John Kitchenware or  Mandy Skincare names. 

My personal experience with a fictitious business name registration

I live in Los Angeles and I recently started my online venture in the field of online marketing. I have long years of experience in online marketing but I decided not long ago to go on my own way and start my very own SEO agency here in Los Angeles. 

There are two ways you can go about it:

Mail in your registration


1. Go to the website.

2.Click on the Mail In Option on the screen 

3. Click on the first row on the following screen 
4. Search for your desired business name and verify that its not already in use. Then Click on the Start button in the right bottom corner.
5. Follow each step and fill out the registration form
6. Download the form print it out and sign it.
7. Take it to your local UPS store and notarize it(cost: $30.00)
8. Place it in an envelope along with the check for registration fee(made payable to L.A. County Clerk)
9. Send it to their P.O. Box address as a registered mail
10. Wait for your certificate

How long is the response time to get the certificate?

Well, I did everything and as I later found out it worked. They sent me the business name certificate in about 2 or 3 weeks time. The only problem is the good old post office lost the letter so I never received it. I lost the $28.00 fee and the notarization fee $30.00. Darn. So I was just waiting and waiting week by week. After a moth or so I decided I will go in person to check on the status of my certification. I wish I knew back the what I know now!

The quickest and easiest way to register your business name in California 

..is by going to their office in person. 

I went to this address: 



Should have just done this the first time!

Conveniently located near Santa Ana Freeway they have a huge free parking for visitors.
Outside there are representatives of news paper publishers will solicit you but in this case I was happy about it. You will need their service to advertise your new fictitious business name in a newspaper for 4 weeks. Their price ranges from $45.00 to $75.00 for a 4 issue run so it's not too expensive.

This is how the building looks like.
All you have to do is go in, pass the reception and turn left. You will see a line and about 6 windows. It goes pretty fast. They will make you go to the computer and you will have the same online form on the screen that was mentioned before.
You search for the business name, fill out the form then the computer will print out a receipt with a bar-code. You take this receipt to one of the windows and hand it to the clerk. She or He will then take a payment for the registration. They accept cash and card also, that is great. They will issue your certificate immediately. When you leave you should talk to one of the publishers outside the building and buy their advertisement. I loved it, the whole experience was simple and smooth. I registered a business name in less than 20 minutes. Then I walked to the publishers office next door and paid for their newspaper ad. That was it. I strongly recommend you doing it in person because I know now that this is the best way. I was holding the certificate in my hand about 20 minutes after I parked my car

So now you have your business name and you can start trading!


Starting any business is hard work and requires many things. The main thing you will need is customers to get some cash flow going. I congratulate you for your first step as an entrepreneur and please feel free to contact me if you need any online marketing service. 
You can learn more about my services at www.onegoseo.com. I wish you great success on your journey and I hope this guide helped you take action.

Best Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment